It is believed that Jews first settled in Shatava in the 16th century, although written evidence of the community begins in 1765 and continues until the Shoah. Reb Levi Yitzchok Derbarimdiger, a grandson and namesake of Reb Levi Yitzchok of Berdichev, was active in Shatava in the first half of the 19th century. Shatava was occupied by German troops during the summer of 1941. In the autumn of the same year, 300 Jews from Shatava and its environs were murdered.
In 2021 ESJF with the support of Geder Avos and American Jewish philanthropic organizations cleared the site, demarcated the boundaries, and erected a fence around the cemetery.
click to view larger images: