Nadvirna (Nadworna) was a significant chassidic center from the second half of the 18th century until the mid-20th century. Around 1780 Rabbi Zvi-Hirsch, a student of Maggid of Mezhirich, moved to Nadvirna. He significantly influenced the spreading of Hasidism in Galicia.
The Jewish cemetery of Nadvirna was established in the mid-18th century. Pre-WWII memoirs mention gravestones from the mid-17 century, but these are difficult to verify. There were two Ohalim made of stone before WWII – that of Reb Mordechai of Nadvorna and his family, and that of his brother Reb Aharon Leib. The cemetery was partially cataloged by the Jewish Galicia and Bukovina Organization in 2010. Altogether 248 matsevot were included in this catalog, dating from 1762 to 2010.
Recent clearing done by ESJF revealed nearly 700 additional tombstones.
In 2019 ESJF cleared the site and erected a fence around the cemetery. This was made possible with the support of Geder Avos and American Jewish philanthropic organizations, in coordination and with additional financial support of Steven Turner, Leslie Nolan, Gesher Galicia and Nadworna Shtetl Research Group.
click to view larger images: